Tuesday 19 August 2008

To MBA or not to MBA, that is the question

CIO Jury this week asked whether an MBA was worth the time and effort. I decided not. This is what I said:

"There was a time when I believed I should do an MBA but now I believe my personal development and job prospects will be enhanced more through my coach and mentors. From them I have on-going access to vast amounts of experience and wisdom that I can immediately put in to practice in the real business world, that's something two years in a classroom just can't compete with."

The majority thought that an MBA was worth it, but some had reservations. I'm sticking to my guns and still don't feel an MBA would be worth it. Working in a fast-paced sector like IT it seems a folly to want to take a couple of years out of your career to theoretically make you a better person and more attractice to companies. One caveat to that is being in posession of a very generous company that allows you to take a two year sabatical, but even then you'll most likely be funding it yourself, probably supporting a family, have to study like a trojan, lose out on two years of what could be very practical experience and then have to be 120% driven to make up for the sacrifices.

For a similar, if not lower cost you can have the personal attention of a coach for a year or so and with some judiciously provided meals gain mentoring sessions with peers or betters whenever they are required.

Gone are the days when an MBA meant an automatic leg up the corporate ladder and an over-inflated salary to match. Once more experience and wisdom gained through practical application are becoming the most sought after for senior appointments in the IT sector.

I'll stick to the practical experience thanks, never been an acedemic anyway!

No comments: