Sunday 17 August 2008

Fitting In

I watch Boston Legal whilst I row. It's is a convenient 40minutes and during that time I row about 9200m and enjoy the episode. It's the first time I've found a sustaining exercise method that doesn't involve a bicycle that I actually can enjoy.

Regardless, in Episode 15, Series 2, Alan Shore talks of Epictetus, an ancient Greek philosopher, and I quote: "Epictetus compared people who “fit in” to the white threads of a toga. Indistinguishable. He wanted to be the purple thread. “That small part which is bright, and makes all the rest appear graceful and beautiful. Why then” he asked, “do you tell me to make myself like the many? And if I do, how shall I still be purple?”"

That's a fantastic thought. Do I really want to be one of the white threads when I have the opportunity to be a purple thread? Nope. It may be the harder road and need more work, development and sometimes inflict pain but that's where I want to be.

No comments: