Friday 10 October 2008

A pair of Grensons

A few months ago I took delivery of a pair of Grenson's shoes from my Tailor. It's the first time I've had a pair of shoes that I actually look forward to wearing. They are incredibly comfortable, the leather's soft and supple, they needed no wearing in and have never pinched or given me blisters.

I wondered whether I now understood why women like shoes so much now, but no, women will wear shoes they think look great regardless of how painful or impractical they are to walk around in or whatever. My Grenson's look great, but they are just a posh version of an ordinary Oxford shoe style, nothing really new there so it's the comfort and feel that I enjoy just as much as the looks.

It's amzing how different the relationship with shoes is between the sexes. Most men will probably have just a few pairs: a brown pair, a black pair, a few trainers and maybe some deck-shoes. Women, it never ceases to amaze me, they never have sufficient shoes! In addition, when I buy shoes it's for practical reasons and I want them to last - they need to be capable of being repaired, etc. Women will buy a pair of shoes that will only be fashionable this season with no hope of repair that may well cost more than my pair of Grensons.

Not really relevant to technology or management or whatever, just a musing from this morning as I put on my Grenson's.

No comments: